Step 5: Your travel companions will never reach IT Paradise without comprehensive guidelines and training.
You have just made major time and financial investments in designing and building the technology infrastructure to drive business success. But one of the key steps heading to IT Paradise that is either forgotten or underestimated is getting all involved parties to use your new systems in the most efficient and effective manner. User education must become a priority and be a key part of our technology strategy and plan. With applications changing consistently, your business success will only be as good as the skills of the people using these systems.
Areas of user education that should be considered include:
- Building, and continuously updating, your technology policies and procedures.
- Technology training for key employees as systems change.
- New employee training on important systems.
- Security awareness training for all employees.
- Instructions, tips and tricks for external users of business systems.
- Identifying overlooked hurdles such as internet connectivity, backups, long-term storage and redundancy.
We all should take Benjamin Franklin’s advice that, “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."