Step 9: Danger lurks around every corner…even in IT Paradise. Protect your corporate assets with vigilance.
Your data is a financial gold mine and there are professional thieves focused on getting it. Statistics show that ransomware attacks tripled (Symantec) and email infected by ransomware increased 6000% (IBM Security) in 2017. There is no more “if” you have a breach, it is now “when” you have a breach and how you react. Top organizations and government entities with teams of security experts have been compromised. Everyone must make this a priority, be on high alert and have a response plan.
Your privacy and data protection plan should include:
- A comprehensive analysis of data being collected, the level of protection required and compliance requirements associated with each data type.
- A review, and update as required, of all internal policies.
- A layered security design that encompasses all avenues of connections including remote, cloud and mobile.
- Constantly evolving monitoring, alerting, maintenance and support solutions dedicated to cybersecurity.
- Ongoing security awareness training for all personnel.
- A complete backup and disaster recovery system including documented processes and procedures.
KnowBe4’s Chief Hacking Officer, Kevin Mitnick, reminds us, “Companies spend millions of dollars on firewalls and secure access devices, and it's money wasted because none of these measures address the weakest link in the security chain: the people who use, administer and operate computer systems.” Your path to IT Paradise is all about people.